Friday, July 21, 2017

This Week in the Garden: Mid Winter Pruning and Promises



I hadn't planned on doing any pruning or propagating this week but there were so many storm battered plants and broken branches/stems that I decided to take a chance on propagation while cleaning up the mess.  It's not great timing, but since the alternative to potential rooting is the compost bin there's not much to loose!  I grabbed a few jars from the recycling big for popping broken and salvaged stems into temporary water (work in progress above) as I cleaned/chopped/composted under the looming black clouds of yet more rain and have since tidied them all up into hopeful little containers of of propagating pruning. Fingers crossed for a few free plants. :) On the subject of free plants, the sprouted carrot tops from my winter crop of red carrots were planted out into temporary containers on the potting bench this week as well. I'll be replanting this into the garden for the bees (like my bees-only leeks) and perhaps seed-saving if I'm lucky.  We'll see how we go!  The winter peas and beans are growing well and the first little tips of my recently planted elephant garlic are sneaking up as well. Even some of the new season's leaves are peeking out on hardy plants. Yay!  Bring on the spring!

What's happening in and around your garden this week? Whatever your garden/green news, we would love to hear about it. Please leave a comment or post us a message on the GiRL Facebook page. I look forward to sharing our garden with you as it grows.  

Green in Real Life is now on Instagram! Join us there for my photos from our garden and beyond. We'll be taking an August blogging break and then changing our content starting in September, and Instagram will be the best place to see all of our latest garden photos in the future. We'd love for you to join us there!  ❀ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for leaving us a comment! We read every one and appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.