Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Here & Now


Since the ever elusive "no paw-parazzi please" senior kitty Tiger decided to make an appearance in the brief luxury of warm winter sunshine while I was snapping photos, I though he deserved to take the lead on today's Here & Now.  You've seen our dogs, Oli and Humphrey, here from time to time but Tiger is a little more camera shy than his treat-motivated puppy posing pals!  You can find all of this month's Here & Now participants and their links in the July Here & Now at Say! Little Hen to explore what's happening in everyone's Here & Now - please join us if you wish!  I am currently:

Loving //  Warm winter afternoon sunshine, however brief or far-between that may be!
Eating //  Nothing at the moment, but I definitely need to start using up more of my winter citrus. Suggestions?
Drinking //  Big bowls of latte in the mornings, mugs of lemon ginger and honey to warm me up during the day.
Feeling //  Chilly!  The sun has already set for a cool clear winter's night.
Making //  Plans, plans, and more plans.
Thinking //  I really should try to photograph Tiger more often. He is my oldest furbuddy after all.
Dreaming //  About possible garden plans for a new blank and bare garden. Decisions decisions decisions!

Since last month's Here & Now, life has been rather busy.  For the guilty/curious amongst you, no, I haven't finished my Christmas shopping. :) Plans for the new house are speeding along - dates are still TBC but it looks like I might get another summer in this garden yet which I'm rather looking forward to before saying farewell. The garden is rather spartan this time of  except for the riot of citrus begging to be picked from my sheltered little potted grove of lemons, limes, mandarins, and key limes.  What shall I make?  My newly winter-planted peas and beans are poking their shoots up, and the first of the spring bulbs are shooting as well. I was very excited to see the first magnolias start to open as well. I can't wait for the spring riot of fruit blossoms. Everything smells so good in springtime, doesn't it?  I'll be taking an August blogging break to recharge and refresh, so I'm going to miss sharing next month's Here & Now but promise to catch up with you all again soon, and I'll be back in September with our first Here & Now of the new spring. Yay!  It's past time for me to be making dinner here, so good night lovely blog friends and I look forward to catching up on your latest Here & Now news later this week. :)

Curious to see more?  Let's stay in touch! You can follow along here at Green in Real Life (links on the sidebar) for my urban garden adventures with a sprinkle of everyday greener living, drop by Creativity Unmasked for my creative and crafty side, or head to the dogs at Dalmatian DIY for homemade treats, toys, and other pet posts.  

14 comments:

  1. Can't even begin to contemplate my spring garden, it is so sodden, I think anything I plant will rot. Very envious of your limes, hoping my tree fruits sometime for the first time! Love your fur baby too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very soggy here as well - don't let my brief sneaky sunny snaps fool you. Everything flooded on the weekend down here and it is pouring rain outside again right now as a procrastinating on my daily dog walking over a very very slow coffee. Ah, winter...

      Delete
  2. You could make all sorts of deliciousness with that Winter citrus, Laura. I love to make lemon curd with lemons. We've had a little rain here but nothing like the rain you are getting there. I hope you get more "breaks in the weather" and some sunshine soon. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lemon curd is lovely, but I've yet to be brave enough to make my own from scratch. Perhaps this is the year to try! :)

      Delete
  3. I made up a jar of preserved lemons a little while ago, from the Grown & Gathered book - except I used a lot more salt because, well, I live in North Queensland and I felt the extra salt was a good idea for preserving! Anyway, I waited the 30 days to try them and oh my goodness! I love them, they have a flavour I wasn't expecting - a little similar to olives ??? You use the skin, not the flesh. Anyway, it's really nice sliced up with fish and meat dishes, I also chuck it on salads...I love my lemon! I also know a divine lemon pasta recipe that uses lemons, creme fraiche and parmesan cheese..it's a little naughty but it is soooooo nice! Megan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh they do sound interesting! I've eaten dishes with preserved lemon, but haven't cooked with (or made) my own. And that pasty sounds yummy. Here & Now always ends up making me hungry!

      Delete
  4. Oooh lemon butter is a winter favourite but I have never actually made it myself! Good luck using up your citrus. I love your photo of Tiger. I can feel the 'catness' oozing out of it! Kate x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here - it feels a bit like naughty dessert-for-breakfast, doesn't it? Yum! Tiger is a very catly cat, and quite a old fellow now. He was a rescue with a hard start and was never fond of lap snuggles and other human affections for any more than a few minutes. He's a classic psycho cat: love the brush purrrr, attack the brush rawrr, adore the brush purrrr, kill the brush rawrr! :)

      Delete
  5. Lemon, ginger and honey is one of my favourite combinations too. So good for colds, sore throats and just warming up one's bones!
    I hope you enjoy your blogging break, it sounds like you've got a lot on at the moment!
    Thanks so much for joining in again Laura!
    Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always busy indeed, but that's why I've started taking a long break one or two times a year. Not for vacations as such, just for a mental recharge. I find it's too easy to blog (and associated prep, photos, posts, emails, media, etc etc) through weekdays, weekends, holidays, etc. and start to fizzle out my creativity and motivation. A little break from time to time puts the zing back in things for me.

      Delete
  6. Your photo's are so clear and amazing. My Vietnamese mint keeps dying, does yours keep coming back year after year? Whats your trick?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks Clarissa and welcome to "Here and Now" :) My mints grow like a mad thing and need regular pruning interventions to keep it under some semblance of control and avoid getting to leggy. No tricks, but I do have a few troubleshooting tips. Before moving here, I used to have more difficulty as it was next to impossible to keep moisture-loving plants like this from drying out in the heat of summer. That would usually send my mints into a spiral of decline that they never fully bounced back from and eventually died. :( Also, they aren't frost hardy so need a sheltered spot if your garden is in a frost zone. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Moisture must be the problem. We dont get frosts, but maybe it dries out a little :( Thanks

      Delete
    3. When we lived in Australia it was incredibly hard to grow because of the moisture factor, especially since I was growing in containers. Here in New Zealand its set-and-forget, although at your peril if unchecked since it grows like a mad thing!

      P.S. So jealous of your turmeric. I am hunting good rhizomes to grow our own - will check in on your blog for tips when I find some! :)

      Delete

Thanks ever so much for leaving us a comment! We read every one and appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.