Friday, June 23, 2017

This Week in the Garden: Winter Solstice


The shortest days of the year are prime garlic planting time in our region, and boy do I have some promising garlic cloves for this year's plantings! Last summer was a rather dismal and wet growing season, so instead of eating our plump-but-not-gigantic elephant garlic (still pleased as many local gardeners lost everything to the weather and fungal disease) I saved and stored it to replant. After with my comments in last week's post, we had a few beautiful days of dry sunny weather so the garden has been raked, partly weeded, trimmed, and pruned (not finished...), but not mowed as things didn't dry out enough for our reel mower. Soon I hope, else I won't be able to reel through it! I also cleared out some of the remaining autumn plantings from the raised veggie beds for working over and making room for the winter plantings.  Humphrey was very excited to see the fat red carrots, crazy carrot fiend! He photobombed with an attempted nibble...little devil...but so very cute! Lucky for me he doesn't know that they're underground to harvest for himself. :) I'm going to try regrowing these carrot tops and replanting elsewhere in the garden for the bees (like my bees-only leeks) and perhaps seed-saving if I'm lucky.  We'll see how we go!  What's happening in and around your garden this week? Whatever your garden/green news, we would love to hear about it. Please leave a comment or post us a message on the GiRL Facebook page. I look forward to sharing our garden with you as it grows.  P.S. Green in Real Life is now on Instagram! Join us there for my photos from our garden and beyond. ❀ 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for leaving us a comment! We read every one and appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.