Friday, June 9, 2017

This Week in the Garden - Beating the Winter Blahs


The last of our leaves are falling, our days grow short, the nights are cold, and the winds bitter. Bah humbug - winter is here.  My garden time seems to have stagnated in a cycle of weeding, composting, raking, and hoping for enough dry daylight to be able to mow the law with no joy most days as even dry days aren't enough to evaporate off the preceding rain or heavy overnight dews. No frost here yet though - I look forward to some frosty photography to make the chilly night worthwhile. Haha! I'm still enjoying what colours there are to be found and around here we have flowers the whole year through, like these gorgeous poppies in our local park which looked right at home amid the flutter of lingering autumn leaves. So lovely, bright, and cheerful. Good medicine for battling the winter blahs.

With moving plans on the horizon, I'm not doing any major dormant winter planting in our garden this year, so it's a matter of supporting and nurturing the existing garden plantings (hopefully the new owners enjoy gardens as much as I do!) and doing a little winter gardening in the raised veggie beds. My carrots and onions are fattening up, and I am procrastinating on culling the last of my bolting coriander (it's still so tasty!). I wonder if I can get away with growing more in our winter weather...

What's happening in and around your garden this week? Whatever your garden/green news, we would love to hear about it. Please leave a comment or post us a message on the GiRL Facebook page. I look forward to sharing our garden with you as it grows.  P.S. Green in Real Life is now on Instagram! Join us there for my photos from our garden and beyond. ❀ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for leaving us a comment! We read every one and appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.