Saturday, October 31, 2015

This Week in the Garden: Spring in Full Swing


Other commitments kept me from spending much time in the garden as I would have liked this week, except for rushing for an essential mow, trim, and weed in one of our brief dry gaps.  Our spring mix of daily sun and rain has made it mucky business trying to get my transplants out, but it is great growing weather.  I swear you can see the grass get longer while you watch!  Not great when you are using a push-reel mower - they are good for the grass, easy to use, and pollution-free, but struggle a bit with longer grass or if things are a bit damp.  With our recent weather and rampant growing, it has been quite a workout lately!



Things are still looking lovely around our neighbourhood. Early spring flowering tree have faded, but many of the  rhododendrons and azaleas are still looking lovely (like the pretty pink beauty above). Leaves are out on most of the trees (I have lost hope that our new apricot tree is dormant, not dead), the early fruit blossoms have all faded, and the first of our new baby pears about to burst into late bloom any day.  I am still battling my aphid war per last week's garden post, but this week saw the first roses bloom - unfortunately, it was immediately battered into submission my wind and rain. A whole bevvy of buds are not far behind.  Hopefully I will have a more productive garden week report to share with you next weekend. What's happening in and around your garden this week?  Whatever your garden/green news, we would love to hear about it. Please leave a comment or post us a message on the GiRL Facebook page I look forward to sharing our garden with you as it grows.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for leaving us a comment! We read every one and appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.