Sunday, October 11, 2015

This Week in The Garden: Pretty Petals, Sad Leaves


Oh the blossoms smell soooo good when I am out walking on our neighbourhood trail!  Our neighbor's giant old cherry tree is snowing blossoms all around the garden, and our new nashi pear trees have come into their first blossoms.  Hooray!  

Sadly, no amount of riotous spring colour and scents could make up for how sad I was to discover this week that one of my newly planted dwarf fruit trees (the nectarine) has peach leaf curl.  I had just turned the corner on treating our wet weather fungus problems but now have a new foe.  The tree came from a reputable supplier, there were no susceptible trees in the existing garden to spread disease, and I diligently sprayed of our new stone fruit tress as a "just in case".  Bummer!  Our young nectarine was the mature chap in our new plantings and was already scaling towards bud burst when the shipment arrived, so it may have been too late to save it from infection this year.  Hopefully the rest will be ok. I have read that the infection will need to run its course this year, and next winter/spring I can try to keep the dormant spores from re-infecting the nectarine or spreading to his newly planted neighbour's, the dwarf peach and dwarf apricot.  At least infection appears to be mild (only a few nasty blistered leaves thus far) and we weren't counting on first-season fruiting. In the interim, I will do my best to keep the nectarine thriving with plenty of nutrients and TLC.  Advice welcome! How do you keep your green garden healthy?  

I hate be a downer, so here is another snap of the beautiful spring colours.  I have to admit, it's hard to be sad, even with a sick tree.  What's happening in your garden this week?  We would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment or post us a message on the GiRL Facebook page I look forward to sharing our garden with you as it grows.  If you have your own greener living / garden blog or site, you're welcome to share a live link tin the comments. It's simple - just use the following format as a guide: <a href="http://www.yourlink.com">text you want shown for your link</a> 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for leaving us a comment! We read every one and appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.