Thursday, July 2, 2015

Monarchs in the Making!

I was returning from a photography outing yesterday when a flutter of movement caught my peripheral vision. I saw that the orange wings of a monarch butterfly, and paused for a second to appreciate it (I have been trying to be a bit more mindful and in the moment lately). It was then that I realised it was not one monarch but two!


Hmm.... What is the appropriate etiquette when you walk in on butterflies mating?  I was pretty sure that they couldn't care less abut my presence, and what an amazing sight to witness. I kept my distance, took my camera back out, and quietly snapped a few (very long zoom) shots of the their mating dance, silently cheering them on with encouragement for a new generation of monarchs in the making, before continuing on my walk. I smiled all the way home, despite getting caught in the rain. I hope that their ritual was successful and that momma monarch finds a safe place for her eggs. I know that the season is drawing closed and mating signals the end is nigh for both butterflies, but hopefully the future will flutter on the wings on the next generation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for leaving us a comment! We read every one and appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.