Friday, March 17, 2017

This Week in the Garden: Digging into Autumn Chores


I finally gave up on my deathbed tomato plants this week and removed the last of the tomatoes before pulling out all of the plants for composting.  What to do with all of these tasty little mostly green morsels? Hmmm.... With a few days of dry weather, the garden has been transformed into a (somewhat) tidy state once more. Mowed, trimmed, weeded, pruned, and all those pesky perpetual chores.  Unfortunately, my canine assistants have not (yet) been trained with their selective weeding and cultivating, but at least senior Oli has great taste in shady nests rooting out errant the papavers that have pervaded the gardens from sources unknown ever since we moved here. :) Nice work, Oli! With the space/sun hog tomatoes out of the way, I'm hoping for a few more chilies, capsicum and other goodies from my lingering summer plants, and the autumn sown coriander, carrots, and other cooler crops are already popping up nicely.  I trimmed and pruned most of my perennial herbs, but I'll let the pineapple sage linger a little longer - it's too pretty to cut at the moment!  I planted it along with other sages, thymes, and lemon balm as ornamentals mixed into my general garden beds and I have to say they thriving and looking lovely even if they're rarely nibbled compared to their over abundant presence. What's happening in and around your garden this week?  Whatever your garden/green news, we would love to hear about it. Please leave a comment or post us a message on the GiRL Facebook page I look forward to sharing our garden with you as it grows.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to leave us a comment - we read each and every one. We appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.