Friday, February 10, 2017

This Week in the Garden: Creating a Buzz



This week we've finally had a few sunny breaks, so it's been a flurry of activity in the garden.  Weeding (two full days of weeding...ouch!), transplanting, clean-up, late summer seeding, mowing, and bird netting. Whew!  The latter I'm sad to say we were too slow to do and learned the hard way when in a single overnight attack birds destroyed all of our nectarines and some of our nashi pears. I was devastated to loose my first little nectarine crop. Hubby had tasted the first and only one fresh from the tree just a day or two before the bird raid. :(  In happier news, this week's photos show how busy the bees have been this week as well.  I took advantage of a the weather to snap a few pics to refresh our bee archives a little as well as share here for our garden week update.  With our lavender suffering terrible from the wet soggy weather, their new favourite feasting station are the leeks.  I planted a few amongst my ornamentals just for the bees, so I'm particularly happy to see the bees are loving it!  Most of our bees are big bumble bees and worker honeybees, but I just happened to see a drone perched on my roses while I was snapping as well - you can see him in the picture below - his big eyes are the drone giveaway.  What's happening in and around your garden this week?  Whatever your garden/green news, we would love to hear about it. Please leave a comment or post us a message on the GiRL Facebook page I look forward to sharing our garden with you as it grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to leave us a comment - we read each and every one. We appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.