Friday, October 28, 2016

This Week in the Garden: Planting the Summer Garden



At last, the summer veggies are planted! Nursery seedling tomatoes, capsicums, and chilies have been planted into the raised beds along with direct sow seeds and companion planted marigolds. I also planted a whole variety flower seeds in egg cartons on my potting bench for transplant into the main garden beds once they germinate and mature a little.  I find it tricky to identify many direct sow flowers if they go straight into the beds, and often accidentally weed them out as they sprout! Oops... This year, I also increased my companion plantings in the berry patch to (hopefully!) help with pests and lure in additional pollinators. We've barely made it into blossom on the brambles, and already the first berries are already forming up!  What's happening in and around your garden this week?  Whatever your garden/green news, we would love to hear about it. Please leave a comment or post us a message on the GiRL Facebook page I look forward to sharing our garden with you as it grows.

4 comments:

  1. Busy raking leaves here. Enjoy some gardening for me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you enjoy those lovely autumn colours for me. :)
      Rain is on the way (again!) if that's any consolation.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks, Summer! It is beautiful here (although not so much at the moment - rainy + stormy!) but I see from your blog that you have a gorgeous "mystery" tropical island paradise of your own. Beautiful. :)

      Delete

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to leave us a comment - we read each and every one. We appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.