Friday, January 15, 2016

This Week in the Garden: Post Christmas Catch Up + Summer in the Garden


Our last garden week virtual walk visit was before the holiday break, and things have been growing vigorously under the warm summer sun since then.  The poppies did indeed bloom throughout Christmas, including my poppy peonies, but all varieties were routinely smashed and flattened in the wind and rain so I am considering relocating them for next year - something to note in my new garden journal (did you get your free garden journal printables?).  The rest of the garden is filling in nicely, with a smattering of other blooms throughout, including the direct-sewn nigella, which had been taunting me with buds for weeks.


My veggie patch was slightly neglected during the Christmas rush, leaving me with a whole lot of weeding (sadly, our dogs are far too interested in the straw mulch for me to use it in any areas they can access, which leaves me with bare veggie beds in the back yard) and an abundant harvest of GIGANTIC radishes - oops! The carrots, onions, and beets are all fattening up and young peppers are forming on our chilies and capsicums.  The squash and cucumbers are all thriving, with flowers promising good things to come.  No flowers on any of the my melons yet, but I remain hopeful of harvesting my first ever home grown watermelon - there is plenty of summer still to go! Other than the weeds and a few sneaky pests (!!!), things are doing pretty well considering the late start, wild weather, and my intermittent neglect. 


Our young berries are doing well in their freshly mulched beds and the strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries are currently yielding a small but flavourful first season crop, as long as we can beat the birds to the ripe fruit. Our mandarins, lemons, and limes are continuing to grow fatter and the new fruit tree family grew to include a fig at Christmas, which is already putting out first fruit.  

What's happening in and around your garden this week?  Whatever your garden/green news, we would love to hear about it. Please leave a comment or post us a message on the GiRL Facebook page I look forward to sharing our garden with you as it grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to leave us a comment - we read each and every one. We appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.