Friday, December 4, 2015

This Week in The Garden: Taking a Look at the Little Things


This week in the garden was all about the little things: seeds, sprouts, fruits, bugs, bees, and more.  Last weekend was fabulously productive, with more veggie seedlings planted out and more direct-sow seeds sown - the first of which have already sprouted.  Unfortunately, while sowing more bee-friendly flowers near my roses, I somehow inadvertently upset a bumblebee enough to sting me on the leg!  Oh the irony.  Tools and seeds were quickly dropped for timeout with some frozen peas before finishing my work...little did I know that the true effects would only fully surface (literally) hours later in the form of a gigantic painful welt around the size of my hand.  Ouch!

The first little baby mandarins, lemons, and limes are all forming on our citrus trees.  I am looking forward to enjoying the first fruits of our new edible garden!  The rest of our fruit trees won't bear a harvest this first growing season, but perhaps next year.  The first berries are ripening in our berry patch, and the new raised vegetable planters are starting to fill-out.  Although our lettuce seedlings were removed last week and we are still nursing the tomatoes, the spinach is thriving. I was a little concerned with a strange white appearance to its new growth at first glance, but when I looked a little closer, I realised that they are simply all dusted with calcium oxalate crystals.  Perfectly natural, and neat to see in person - this is the first time that we have grown spinach. The onions and peppers/capsicums are all coming along nicely, too.


While doing my rounds, I spied some passion vine hopper nymphs on my hydrangeas, with their distinctive fluffy white bums.  They are crazy little things, bouncing off in all directions when disturbed. I may try to get a macro or two before evicting them.  They are pests for a wide range of host plants including vine crops, citrus, vegetables, flax, ferns, hydrangea, and more. Not welcome. 


What's happening in and around your garden this week?  Whatever your garden/green news, we would love to hear about it. Please leave a comment or post us a message on the GiRL Facebook page I look forward to sharing our garden with you as it grows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to leave us a comment - we read each and every one. We appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.