Friday, October 23, 2015

This Week in the Garden: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly


This week has been up and down in the garden.  I didn't accomplish as much as I had hoped due to a combination of work, weather, and injury.  Nothing serious on the latter - just a nasty rub on my hand from a fumble with my heavy duty cultivator rake during last weekend's soil work that is struggling to close and heal, but it makes wearing my garden gloves uncomfortable and dirt garden work a bit of a problem.  Indoors, however, my coconut coir seed starer experiment is approach the end of round one - how good do those lovely little seedlings look?  It's almost transplant time for the first starters and I will share more about the experiment in a full post then.

The wet weather has been hampering my green gardening efforts in more ways than one.  Bad little aphids have arrived and settled on one of my young rose bushes; however, I can't get a dry enough gap for green spraying (or any spraying for that matter). From what I've read, my efforts with systemic neem won't really deter them and I will need to up my game; however, I don't want to harm my beneficials either. We have some great helpers, including the frequent support of Steelblue Ladybirds. For now, I am hand managing the problem as best I can.  Advice welcome! How do you keep your green garden healthy? 


On the subject of healthy, I am still picking ugly blistered leaves from my baby dwarf nectarine, the telltale sign of peach leaf curl. Sigh. I will keep you updated on the battle.  Thus far, there is no sign of the nasty fungal disease in our dwarf peach (in leaf), and the apricot still hasn't broken bud.  Unfortunately, I think we might have received a dud dead dormant tree in our garden order. Sad.


What's happening in your garden this week?  We would love to hear from you! Please leave a comment or post us a message on the GiRL Facebook page I look forward to sharing our garden with you as it grows.  If you have your own greener living / garden blog or site, you're welcome to share a live link tin the comments. It's simple - just use the following format as a guide: <a href="http://www.yourlink.com">text you want shown for your link</a> 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks ever so much for taking the time to leave us a comment - we read each and every one. We appreciate you taking the time to say hello and share your thoughts.